I feel so lucky that as a senior photographer I get to meet so many high schoolers with big dreams. While the clients who are guys aren’t as frequent as the young ladies, they are just as delightful. There’s been so much talk in the media lately about “boys being boys” and how problematic some behavior is among high schoolers and teens, but I’ve found nothing but respectful, handsome, and smart boys in this graduating class. Especially when they’re like Cole, who is part of the Cinco Ranch High School Class of 2019…he is truly an exemplary student, as well as a stellar young man.
He is smart, polite, and kind, and a very talented swimmer. He participated in both high school varsity and club swimming, and has reached many of his goals in the sport. In addition, he’s part of the Boy Scout organization, and involved in the United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps. He enjoys keeping up with the latest rocket launches when he can, and he plans to study cyber security when he reaches college. Of his many accomplishments, his most recent has been acceptance into the Coast Guard Academy next year; a very prestigious honor. Cole has impressive knowledge and abilities that he hopes to use to serve his country in the aerospace domain.
I was impressed with his demeanor and maturity. He truly represents some of the very best qualities in the Class of 2019, and I am so honored to have been his senior photographer. I have found that students who want to serve their country after graduation are an extra-special breed, and he is no exception. This selfless and talented grad is a true credit to his family, friends, and school. Congratulations, Cole!
If you are wondering about a senior session for the graduate in your life (or yourself), you can click on our Investment page. There, you’ll find our session fees, and what’s included in this important milestone!
Every senior is special, but some are truly like family! This amazing young lady just happens to be our family babysitter, and you know if I trust her with my littles, then she must be something exceptional! Of course, besides being a star-quality sitter, she is also an all-around talented and kind young lady. Sidney is a senior at Cinco Ranch High School, where her fun and bubbly personality has her constantly surrounded by friends and family. “Fun, bubbly, energetic and thoughtful” are some of the words her friends would use to describe her, and I’d enthusiastically concur. She is also the colonel of the school’s drill team, The Cougar Stars, who just celebrated their 20th season this year. The team has been lauded with many awards, and are known as the “sweethearts of Cinco Ranch”. They also participate in many community events, as well as special days like the pep rallies or football games. Sidney is an excellent leader for the team, and definitely exemplifies the spirit of the group.
Besides her job in childcare, and also her academic pursuits, she finds time to be very active in her church, Epiphany Catholic, and values her faith. She also loves animals, and even though the goats in these images were unplanned, they were perfect for her! Sidney and I wrapped up her shoot with frozen custard from her favorite place, Freddy’s, and I realized how grateful I am to have her in my life. After graduation, she plans to attend Texas A&M Corpus Christi, in order to study the field of nursing. I know her compassionate and empathetic personality, as well as her work ethic, will serve her incredibly well there.
Thank you, Sidney, for being such a beautiful light in our lives, and for allowing me to document your senior year.
I first met sweet Taylor a few years ago. She asked me to teach her how to take photos before their family went on a special vacation, and I was happy to provide with a few lessons before their trip. Little did I know that Taylor and her mom Angela would remain part of my life, and we would reconnect to mark her graduation from Tomkins High School. I cannot believe those years have flown by, but here we are! Now, she is preparing for the next big step in her life, and I am so proud of her. In addition to being very smart, thoughtful, and kind, she is extremely determined and never lets anything stand in her way. During her senior year, she is enrolled in the EMT program at Miller Technical. Miller is part of our school district here in the Katy ISD, and houses the students from various schools who have chosen specialized careers and technological fields. It allows these gifted students to complete half-day training as they strive for their goals, and also remain at their home schools so they don’t miss their junior and senior year experiences.
The EMT program at Miller is very intense, especially when you decide to pursue it at such a young age, but she is so bright and driven, it has been the perfect choice. Because of her extensive work during high school, and her big, big dreams, I knew her session had to match her exuberance and spark. We did a mixture of outdoor and urban locations, and she brought some really gorgeous outfits. Her flowing maxi skirt and jean jacket had such great movement, and of course, we had to include her cap and gown.
After a fun summer of travel and spending time with family and friends, Taylor plans to study nursing in the fall at Harding University in Arkansas.
Taylor, I am so glad we have maintained contact over the last few years, and am so grateful I got to mark this special occasion with you! I cannot wait to to see what the future holds for you. I know it will be amazing! Congratulations!
For this unique, bright, and handsome guy, we needed a session as special as he is. Jacob is part of the Cinco Ranch High School Class of 2019, and I was so excited to hear he wanted his senior photos in his kayak! I’m always up for a challenge. Jacob has a great laugh and a wonderful personality to match! He has many things he’s involved in these days, including biking and kayaking. He’s an important part of the Cinco Ranch Marching Band (on percussion), and has been putting some important hours into the Young Men’s Service League (YMSL) in Katy, Texas. The YSML is amazing, and is a philanthropic organization that encourages young men to get involved in their communities with causes that matter to them. It also is a really cool opportunity for teens to serve alongside their moms, which creates a lasting memory, especially during that last year of high school.
Jacob also enjoys a great cup of coffee, and listening to Lake Street Dive when he can! His kayak is one of his most prized possessions, and it also has an important memory attached: when their family home was flooded during Hurricane Harvey, his kayak actually helped them escape their flooded home and neighborhood. I loved that were able to tell that part of his story with images. He is also a gifted student who works very hard in school, and I am thrilled to share that he is headed to the University of Texas at San Antonio in the fall to study Computer Security.
Contact us today to book your senior shoot!
When it comes time to choose a senior photographer, it often comes down to the wishes of the parents and the wishes of the graduate. Not only are these factors important, but there is another aspect of choosing a photographer that many people forget: the connection. The person who captures your senior year is someone you need to feel connected to, and trust. So, how do you know who to entrust such a special moment with? We have a few tips, based on our years of experience in the senior portrait industry, that will help this big decision:
- You and your senior should meet with the photographer BEFORE the shoot. This is key in developing a connection which will come across in the portraits.
- Have a general idea of what you want before you step foot in that meeting: Look on the photographer’s instagram, facebook and website. Consider the images you’re drawn to, and decide as a family (or grad/parent) what will fit into your home decor, or the things that you want to use them for (invites, graduation party, etc).
- Ask lots of questions: Ask what makes the photographer unique. What is their signature style? Do they have a few signature poses or locations? Will you be dealing with many classmates using the same locations/poses? These are important issues to consider when you are wanting photos that are different and special.
- Decide how many you want and need: For some seniors, they want the whole kit-and-caboodle, with many outfit changes and locations, and we make it happen. For other seniors, they don’t enjoy having their photos done, and only want an image for mom and dad. For these, we try to really hone in on the things they DO want, such as props included or a special location. Communicate these wishes to your selected photographer. We want you to feel confident you are getting what you need.
- Ask about logistics: Depending on when you need your images done, you will want to choose a photographer who can accommodate you. Worried you won’t know where your senior is attending college when you take the fall photos? But want photos in the selected college shirt? Ask about this! At Maureen O’Shay Photography, we offer a College Shirt Mini-Session in the late spring for our clients who had their session before the college decision was made.
- Timing: Remember to book early, and allow plenty of time for the photographer’s turnaround, and allow time to order graduation invitations, prints, albums, products and more. Our ordering process allows you to only buy what you love, rather than restricting you. We also offer beautiful, heirloom quality collections to suit your needs. Even if you want spring photos, book early to get the best date during prime flower-blooming time.
- Ask how long they’ve been in business: Finding a veteran photographer is key to success. They often have extra tips and ideas that they have gained with experience in the industry. Here at Maureen O’Shay Photography, we have been in business since 2010, and have become a full-service portrait service and studio, which means we have plenty of years of client work and experience that will only enhance your session! (To learn more about Maureen, click HERE). We also work with a great veteran team of hair and makeup experts!
- Remember that this experience only happens once: Your senior photographer shouldn’t be a choice you take lightly. The right photographer will make a true connection with you, and will celebrate the many accomplishments that have brought you to this moment.
Learn more about our custom portrait sessions HERE!