When it comes time to choose a senior photographer, it often comes down to the wishes of the parents and the wishes of the graduate. Not only are these factors important, but there is another aspect of choosing a photographer that many people forget: the connection. The person who captures your senior year is someone you need to feel connected to, and trust. So, how do you know who to entrust such a special moment with? We have a few tips, based on our years of experience in the senior portrait industry, that will help this big decision:
- You and your senior should meet with the photographer BEFORE the shoot. This is key in developing a connection which will come across in the portraits.
- Have a general idea of what you want before you step foot in that meeting: Look on the photographer’s instagram, facebook and website. Consider the images you’re drawn to, and decide as a family (or grad/parent) what will fit into your home decor, or the things that you want to use them for (invites, graduation party, etc).
- Ask lots of questions: Ask what makes the photographer unique. What is their signature style? Do they have a few signature poses or locations? Will you be dealing with many classmates using the same locations/poses? These are important issues to consider when you are wanting photos that are different and special.
- Decide how many you want and need: For some seniors, they want the whole kit-and-caboodle, with many outfit changes and locations, and we make it happen. For other seniors, they don’t enjoy having their photos done, and only want an image for mom and dad. For these, we try to really hone in on the things they DO want, such as props included or a special location. Communicate these wishes to your selected photographer. We want you to feel confident you are getting what you need.
- Ask about logistics: Depending on when you need your images done, you will want to choose a photographer who can accommodate you. Worried you won’t know where your senior is attending college when you take the fall photos? But want photos in the selected college shirt? Ask about this! At Maureen O’Shay Photography, we offer a College Shirt Mini-Session in the late spring for our clients who had their session before the college decision was made.
- Timing: Remember to book early, and allow plenty of time for the photographer’s turnaround, and allow time to order graduation invitations, prints, albums, products and more. Our ordering process allows you to only buy what you love, rather than restricting you. We also offer beautiful, heirloom quality collections to suit your needs. Even if you want spring photos, book early to get the best date during prime flower-blooming time.
- Ask how long they’ve been in business: Finding a veteran photographer is key to success. They often have extra tips and ideas that they have gained with experience in the industry. Here at Maureen O’Shay Photography, we have been in business since 2010, and have become a full-service portrait service and studio, which means we have plenty of years of client work and experience that will only enhance your session! (To learn more about Maureen, click HERE). We also work with a great veteran team of hair and makeup experts!
- Remember that this experience only happens once: Your senior photographer shouldn’t be a choice you take lightly. The right photographer will make a true connection with you, and will celebrate the many accomplishments that have brought you to this moment.
Learn more about our custom portrait sessions HERE!